Tuesday, January 19, 2021

JUDGING A BOOK BY ITS COVER By Kathleen Lawless @kathleenlawless


 If you’re like many people I know, the new year means decluttering and redecorating their homes, an activity I admire but never seem to get around to.  In my defense, I live in a small cottage without a lot of options to move things around and change up the space.  

 But books! There’s an entirely different matter.   Authors are always second guessing everything in this business, including their covers.  Earlier this month, as I prepared to launch a new series, I got really excited by what my designer was creating and decided to revamp some older covers, in hopes that the investment would lead to more reader interest and discoverability.  I call that my version of redecorating. 


 Between the two of us, it took a while studying other covers, images, fonts and layouts, as I decided what I liked, what I didn’t, and what elements would, I hoped, give my books an eye-catching, up-to-the-minute look.  Cover trends are constantly changing and various theories abound regarding covers with scenery only, a romantic couple, or the hero or heroine on their own. 


It’s early days, but I’m pretty pleased with the results.  The true test will be what the readers think and if they find my new covers intriguing enough to catch their eye so they read the blurb or an excerpt.  How important is the cover in your decision to purchase a book?  As a reader, what draws you in?     

 

Kathleen Lawless blames a misspent youth watching Rawhide, Maverick and Bonanza for her fascination with cowboys, which doesn’t stop her from creating a wide variety of interests and occupations for her many alpha male heroes.   

Sign up for Kathleen’s VIP Reader News Group to receive a free book, updates, special giveaways and fan-priced offers.    http://eepurl.com/bV0sb1

 

AMAZON | WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BOOKBUB

3 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Hi Kathleen: All 3 are fantastic, but I favor the one wearing the plaid shirt. Hugs!

Julie Lence said...

I guess I should say, I like Her Unwilling Cowboy Best.

Jacqui Nelson said...

Love all of these covers, Kathleen! But I'm with Julie, I like the ones with plaid shirts best.