Sunday, July 15, 2012

Welcome Kristina Knight to Cowboy Kisses


My Favorite Cowboy Moments

Cowboys have been near and dear to my heart since I was a little girl. The only times I was allowed to skip bedtime were Saturday nights when, more often than not, my grandpa (we called him Big Daddy) would find an old spaghetti Western on television. It might start at 10 and not get over until midnight, I might yawn and snooze my way through Sunday School and Church the next morning, but I was always allowed to stay up and watch.

From John Wayne and Gary Cooper to the cowboy-types played by James Dean, I watched them all. Some I've found on DVD, some live only in my memory but they all hold a special place in my heart. As I got older I realized very few of them actually had a love story – sure, the cowboy would get the girl, but we never saw them falling in love. So when more modern Westerns started to come out, I was once again enthralled. I wanted to see the cowboy beat the bad guys but I always  wanted to see the love story.

Movies like 8 Seconds, My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys and Wyatt Earp have been added to my favorite's list and have lengthened my favorite Cowboy Moments, too. But there are three movies – from the modern era – that take cowboys to a whole new level. At least for me.

Here are my top three cowboy movie moments:

#3: Please don't throw rotten tomatoes because in my top three is John Travolta in city-slicker-cowboy garb. It was the 80s, people! And you have to admit John Travolta was it in much of the early 80s. For me John's Urban Cowboy mode was ohsomuch better than his Saturday Night Fever mode. And I absolutely love when Bud finally tells Sissy he loves her. And I even found a clip for ya:



#2: This one was hard for me to put in number two because Tom Selleck is just so…Tom. Quigley Down Under is probably one of my favorite cowboy movies, even though it takes place in the Australian Outback instead of the American West. But when Quigley finds Cora in town, when he says his name is Roy – not Quigley – I just melt a little. Every. Single. Time. Because he's had a hard road – he isn't Roy and he shouldn't want to be Roy…and yet because it will save both their lives, he accepts the name.

#1: I love the movie Walk The Line, because nothing is sweeter to me than a real life love story – and Johnny and June Cash certainly had that. So, even though Johnny isn't technically a cowboy, I have to give him the top slot. Because he might not rope cattle or ride horses but he certainly had the attitude of a cowboy: he took care of business, he spoke his mind and he stood up for the people and things that he believed in. So, to honor him, here's my favorite clip about John:





In my book What a Texas Girl Wants, Jackson is like these cowboys – although he's never really thought of himself as a cowboy. He stands up for the things he believes in, he is loyal to his friends, and he has a depth of love that only certain people are born with. Here's a little more about him:

Kathleen Witte is a down-to-earth girl. She has to be, with the family ranch on the verge of success. After seven months of keeping it all together by swearing off men, however, Kathleen needs a bit of fun in the sun. Waking up with a husband she can’t remember isn’t how she planned to blow off steam.

The last thing Jackson Taylor wants in his life is a down-to-earth girl. He has four weeks of freedom in which to find his birth mother. He’s done well avoiding commitment until now, so when he wakes up on a Mexican beach with Kathleen his first reaction is curiosity. When he spies the matching wedding rings on their left hands curiosity turns to concern.

Neither Jackson nor Kathleen want to stay married, but when her family shows up, they have no choice. Once back in Texas, however, can they keep this all-business marriage from turning into an all-consuming love?

***

Kristina's BIO: Once upon a time, Kristina Knight spent her days running from car crash to fire to meetings with local police—no, she wasn't a troublemaker, she was a journalist. When the opportunity to focus a bit of energy on the stories in her head, she jumped at it. And she’s never looked back. Now she writes magazine articles by day and romance novels with spice by night. She lives on Lake Erie with her husband and four-year-old daughter. Happily ever after.  You can find her website here.





Note from Ginger:  I'd like to thank Kristina for being my guest today, and for her very interesting post.  I definitely second the nod toward Tom Selleck.  Whew!  And I must have watched Urban Cowboy a thousand times. 

11 comments:

Caroline Clemmons said...

So happy to "meet" you Kristina. Thanks for a great post! Love those cowboys, whether contemporary or historic.

Kristina Knight said...

Cowboys are the best, Caroline!

Willa Blair said...

Hmmm...I haven't watched Quigley Down Under in years. Got to add it to my Netflix list. And get your book!

D'Ann said...

Love, love, love Quigley Down Under. That is an all-time keeper. I love Tom Selleck in any of the Louis L'Amour movies, too.

Kristina Knight said...

Oh, those Louis movies...they (and the books, too) give me happy sigh moments, D'Ann!

Willa, definitely Netflix it - it just gets better with age!!

Katherine Bone said...

Oh Kristina, you picked a great bunch of movies! My favs always include Tom Seleck and Sam Elliot. LOVE that cowboy movies are coming back in vogue. Like you, I'd stay up and watch cowboys nab the girl, fight against villains and clean up towns. Audey Murphy, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger (though he was all about law and not romance), Stuart Granger, Gregory Peck... oh, those were the days, right?

I'm excited about your book and can't wait to read it!!!

Liz Flaherty said...

Oh, yes to Tom and Sam and the Duke. They definitely have tons of sigh appeal!

Kristina Knight said...

Katherine, I think we should write a lone ranger falling in love book!!!

Liz, Tom, Sam and Duke are 3 of my faves!!!

Ellen O'Connell said...

Quigley, yes, the others not so much. Sam Elliott just for the voice. When he did the beef commercials, it made me want to run and buy steak just to keep him happy.

Margie said...

Growing up, my cowboy of choice was Audie Murphy. But my all-time favorite western is Silverado. Great lines. Kevin Costner was adorable--I stayed after the movie just to get his name and wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it.

Devon Matthews said...

Another Audie Murphy fan! This makes me happy. I adored him. What a real-life hero he was. :)