Friday, September 9, 2022

Writer life behind the scenes


Fans have asked for a peek behind the scenes of writer life. (Be careful what you ask for. LOL) Since I'm plotting my next western, I decided to post on the writing process today. 

Each book starts for me as a simple idea, such as a scene or concept. Or, in the case of a series, it often starts as quest to tell a particular supporting character's story. From there I brainstorm a basic plot. I pick a love interest for my MC, if the previous story hasn't already chosen one, and I decide on the couple's central conflict and their HEA.

To hammer out the basics, I do a bit of broad research. With my latest western, Fool's Iron, I needed a location that was fairly close to Ohio, where there would be (pre-transcontinental) railroad construction during the setting year. I entertained both Illinois and Indiana but settled on the latter. 

From there, I type some general plot notes into a document. Then I plug those into a plotting worksheet, to help me flesh them out and ensure I don't get sidetracked or neglect any major turning points. 

I also make a 'character list' document, in which I come up with names, birthdays, general descriptions, family members, and basic data regarding the MCs and other supporting characters. To aid that, I search for images that represent how the major players appear in my imagination. Looking at these pictures helps me when I'm describing them in the novel. 

When it comes time to start the actual writing, I print out any mention of the character(s) from previous books and double-check to make sure the setting year fits with the timeline of the series. Other items I collect are historical maps of the area and a calendar of the setting year. You might laugh, but it's necessary. I would've had a booger of a time keeping up with Maggie's pregnancy (or the letters to and from her mail-order-husbands!) had I not jotted the progress on an actual calendar.

Once the macro research has been done, the micro research begins. I pause and look up the little things as I go - foods they would eat, clothes they would wear, seasonal activities they would engage in. How fast does a horse walk? Was Utah a state yet? How much did lamp oil and stationery cost? How long did it take a letter to be delivered in 1853? 

Over two hours of research went into the funeral parlor scene, alone, to get all the details right. I kid you not.

As I navigate my way through the story, I do my best to stay true to the character's personality, his or her background, and the social mores of the period. I search word etymology along the way, too, to nix as much modern language as I can. It's tedious, but it pays off in the long run.

Despite my best laid plans, I sometimes get stuck. I hadn't planned for Luther or Liam to show up for any more scenes after the explosion. But Maggie had no reason to stay near Edgar once she reached Bloomington, and I had to keep them together long enough for him to sober up. While researching the real church that was the inspiration for the fictional church Maggie goes to for help, I learned of the split of the Presbyterian church and their support of the Underground Railroad. Liam's smuggling of Luther immediately got written in as a subplot.


I work on the manuscript until the first draft is complete, then it gets several polishing passes before going to my critique partners, my beta readers, and finally my proofreader. 

That was probably more than you wanted to know, but that's the basics of how I write a novel.


Is there something you're curious about that I didn't mention? Ask me!

###

I have a small announcement. 

The story I entered in the 7th annual Insecure Writer's Support Group anthology was chosen as one of the winners. First Love: The Art of Making Doughnuts released on September 6th. My contribution, My Heart Approves, is a western historical mail-order bride story. 

First Love is published by Freedom Fox Press, an imprint of Dancing Lemur Press. Its collection of romance stories is clean and wholesome, and ranges from historical to contemporary. There's something for everyone! 

First Love features the talents of Linda Budzinski, Melissa Maygrove, Michael Di Gesu, Sylvia Ney, Katie Klein, Kim Elliott, Templeton Moss, S.E. White, Denise Covey, and Sammi Spizziri. Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will touch your heart and rekindle lost feelings. 

Prepare to return to that first love...

###

Get your copy at one of these retailers:

Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/First-Love-Art-Making-Doughnuts-ebook/dp/B09QH3Z28P/
Barnes & Noble  
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/first-love-insecure-writers-support-group/1140884369?ean=2940165751301
iTunes  
https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1605240999
Kobo  
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/first-love-the-art-of-making-doughnuts
Scribed  
https://www.scribd.com/search?query=9781939844897&language=0


I hope you'll buy a copy. Anthologies are a great way to try the writing of several authors at once.


4 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Hi Melissa: Congratulations on your win! So happy for you and your fellow authors. When writing a new story I do most of the things, if not all, that you mentioned. I even make my own handwritten maps of the towns I create so I don't forget where something is located. And I edit constantly. Hugs and thanks for giving us a glimpse into your writer's world.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the anthology and your writing process is similar to mine. :-)

Anonymous said...

I’m on my phone, which is why it posted anonymously. Kristy McCaffrey

Anonymous said...

I'm having trouble posting comments to any blog. -Melissa Maygrove