Monday, January 22, 2018

Who the Heck is Juliette Douglas?


Who the Heck is Juliette Douglas?




Mornin’ folks!



Well...I’m sitting here snowed in until probably Thursday when the temperatures warm up enough to melt the 8 to 12 inches of snow and ice that Western Kentucky has received since the 12th of January. We don’t see an event like this very often here so it paralyzes us for the duration. The only things on the roads are 4-wheelers. Even the plow trucks are having trouble clearing the roads. So, it’s a BIG event for us country folks in small town rural America.

So...guess I’d better fill ya’ll in on me! First, I would like to thank Julie Lence for inviting me to participate in Cowboy Kisses. I am honored.

When I’m not playing author Juliette Douglas, I wash, wax, and detail boats for a living. Yeah, I know, but when you live right next to two big lakes it’s kind of a handy job to have and a lot of people will hire someone to clean their boats. I have cleaned boats as long as 100 feet and 3 stories high. Floating hotels, if you wish. I have also worked for one of the big marinas on the lake cleaning the inside of their rental houseboats; hard work but good money. Now that I’m older and it’s become too much for me, I only do pontoons and runabouts that are brought into a small marine repair shop a few miles from my house that customers want cleaned while they are there.

Okay...here we go!

Why do I have a pen name? I used to have a Scottish terrier named Juliette; she was a rescue and I was her 3rd owner in her short life of 8 months. We clicked and we had many long, wonderful years together. I had to send her across the rainbow bridge during the writing of my first book Freckled Venom Copperhead, and to this day I still miss her terribly. Even though I have other rescues now, she remains deeply embedded in my heart. My maiden name is Douglas and I always called her Juliette Douglas. It is in honor of her that I chose that pen name.

Why do I write? Who knows? Several years ago, I woke up with stories in my head and couldn’t get rid of them until I wrote them down. Back then I didn’t have a computer, internet or nuttin’. All I had was my coffee pot, microwave and TV. My step-mom gave me an old 1995 computer that used floppys. (Since then I’ve killed 4 computers…sigh) I pounded away on three stories; the first one stunk so bad I deleted it. I have rewritten it now to eventually become Pocketful of Stars. The second one stunk, too, but I have also rewritten it to become Bed of Conspiracy, eventually. Now you have to understand I have never written a thing in my life except college papers; I guess this is/was a mid-life crisis? Anyhoo, I feel God showed me a talent I never knew I had and I thank Him everyday.

I wrote my first untitled book and wanted an opinion from someone who knew the business to tell me if I had something here or should I hang it up. Through a very dear friend, I met his cousin who was a tough retired publisher and lo and behold, he actually like my first rough raw draft. He gave me pointers on how to formulate a manuscript and all the other good stuff green authors need to know, but don’t. He even suggested the title Freckled Venom. Now I have a series under that name with many more to come. Whenever I return to White River and these characters, I feel as if I had come home again.

And I guess you can say ‘The rest is history!’

I recently saw him at his cousin’s and my dear friend’s funeral and he told me, “I honestly never thought you would make it. It’s a really tough business.” High praise indeed! Needless to say, he receives a copy of all my books and he just beams with delight when he receives a new story.


Since being published in 2014, I now have seven novels out and hopefully more to come. My goal for this year 2018 is that I hope to have four new ones published including We Are Awesome Possums, a children’s book about my experience raising eight abandoned baby possums. One possum who I still have is un-releasable due to physical problems. Jake will be two in February.

I do a lot of events where I am a vendor selling my books, it's been a lot of fun and has also helped to spread the word on my Western Collection.



The most fun I have ever had was to travel 2200 miles round trip to Hico, Texas for The Billy the Kid Film Festival in 2015. My mentor and fellow western author Jared McVay brought my 1st place Laramie Award for best debut western novel and presented it to me at the film awards banquet.


Thank you all for reading my backstory, and until we meet again…
Happy Trails!!

www.juliettedouglas2016.wixsite.com



amazon.com/author/juliettedouglas 







THE FRECKLED VENOM SERIES!
One tall, handsome Marshal is determined to get to the bottom of why this mysterious bounty hunter is so skittish...
COPPERHEAD (Book 1) 99 cents
http://bookShow.me/B00Q383YL0
COPPERHEAD STRIKES (Book 2)
http://bookShow.me/B00Q3EIUTA
SKELETONS (Book 3)
http://bookShow.me/B00ZCQE760

MISS BIRGIT'S DILEMMA
"It's not your typical mail order bride story nor the typical historical romance, but I think that's why I found it entertaining. Well worth the 99 cent price tag."
books2read.com/u/mlKPwv
Also available here:
http://bookShow.me/B06XDHL7PB

THE LITTLEST COWBOY
If you had one wish...
99 copper pennies!!
http://bookShow.me/B0741WY9JR
Also available here:
https://www.books2read.com/u/mgrK27

MISTLETOE & HORSESHOES 99 cents
Finally out of prison, she wanted far away from everyone...til a blizzard stranded her in a stable...
http://bookShow.me/B01MQQJ0DJ
Also available here:
https://www.books2read.com/u/mZwoee



A Wild Card of a Western!!
PERFUME POWDER & LEAD HOLY SISTERS
They were by no means perfect...They knew how to use a gun. Two were rough around the edges...they all had a shameful past...they just wanted a new life.
https://www.books2read.com/u/bQZqJd
Also available here:...
http://bookShow.me/B01HL9DCG6
 

1 comment:

Julie Lence said...

We have one correction to this post. Juliette's website is:
http://juliettedouglas2016.wixsite.com/mysite