Tuesday, April 12, 2022

What a Day

Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines

Photo Property of the Author

April is National Poetry Month and April 12th is also: 

  • Big Wind Day 
  • D.E.A.R. Day (Drop Everything And Read) 
So how can you celebrate three different and seemingly unique ideas/days? First, let's take a look at what each is about.

National Poetry Month is probably one of my favorite concepts. I love poetry and always have. There is something intriguing, musical, and challenging about this art form. 

Big wind day is celebrated on April 12 of each year. It stems from April 12, 1934, when the Mount Washington Observatory recorded winds at 231 miles per hour. This high wind record stood until 1996 when a typhoon off the coast of Australia clocked winds at 256 miles per hour over a small island. I may enjoy a stiff breeze now and then, but...

After National Poetry Month, D.E.A.R. makes so much sense to me. The day was set up to encourage families to spend time with their children and read. I would say it is a good idea for everyone. I've always enjoyed reading, not just for research, but just for fun. If I'm stuck at a spot in my writing, and can't get outside, or even if I can, stopping and just reading a book for fun can reset my brain. It's amazing how much easier the words flow after taking that break.

After the last two years, it is good to be back at the stories that were set aside. The lives of those people have taken on a new luster. I look forward to offering them to the world.

Photo Property of the Author

For now, I leave you with a haiku.

Seasons by Doris McCraw

Wind blowing through trees
Raindrops watering the earth
Seasons always change


How about you? Do you love poetry, wind, or just sitting and reading? So on those windy days, grab a poetry book, novel, or magazine and sit back and enjoy. In case you can't find something to read, you might check out the offerings on my Amazon page. Angela Raines - Amazon

Until next time...

Doris




2 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Hi Doris: It's fitting that April 12 is Wind Day, because today is April 12 and we have high winds for the day. Mother Nature has a strange sense of humor.... And like you I cannot imagine winds of over 200mph. Also like you, I find reading a great way to work out a problem in my own work and get the creative juices flowing again. Hugs and Thank You for sharing!

Renaissance Women said...

She sure does. When I read about the high wind record, I just was stunned. I can't imagine. Doris