Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Writing a Series ~ Lorraine Nelson


 Today I thought I’d talk about writing a series and how it differs from writing a single title.

Writing a series can be difficult as you're dealing with multiple characters and, in some cases, multiple locations. To ensure all the details remain consistent for every character means keeping good notes. For this, I use a spreadsheet. On it, I can list each character, their personal attributes: hair: length and color; eyes: color, glasses, contacts; build, etc. I list their parents, children, occupations, vehicles they drive, and anything else important to the stories. Even location…details about the house, outbuildings, nearest town…all these things require constantly checking back through your manuscript if you don't keep detailed notes as you go.

In writing the Thunder Creek Ranch series, I've referred, and added to, my spreadsheet many, many times. Having to search through several 200+ page manuscripts for details is not fun and takes away from the creativity…time better spent writing. When the muse is working and the words flowing onto the page, the last thing you want to do is break that connection.

Even when writing a single title, I use my trusty spreadsheet to keep the details straight. I usually have two or three manuscripts on the go at all times, and it would be foolhardy to trust my memory. Even when I'm working exclusively on one book, I use that spreadsheet.

When reading a story someone else has written, inconsistencies will pull me out of it. I'm like, "What? She had green eyes in chapter three, now they're violet? What gives?" I don't want that happening to my readers, so I take extra care to prevent these things from occurring.

What about you? What things do you run across, as a reader or writer, that irk you?






4 comments:

Melissa said...

I do some of the same things, even type up a 'timeline by chapter' document that lists the day or days the chapter covers as well as notes about what happens in the scene(s). it takes a little time to type up, but it makes it easy for me to go back and find something if I need to later.

Inconsistencies pull me out, too. I admire people who write series of true sequels. I find it much easier to write companion novels that have less crossover.

Julie Lence said...

I have handwritten notebooks for each book and/or series, to include all characters and who they are. For my Revolving Point series, I even made a map of the town so I wouldn't forget the location of each business. And I agree, inconsistencies draw me out of the story, too.

Lorraine said...

I live for my spreadsheets! lol Probably has something to do with my accounting background. I don't hand write much anymore...rheumatoid arthritis. Hurts like a bugger. The only reason I can type is that wonderful 'delete' key. :)

Christine Woinich said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have been reading how authors keep things straight, and I hope to try with notebooks to start. Though I do like the look of the spreadsheet.