Wednesday, February 3, 2016

New Release--Be Mine, Valentine



I’m happy to announce the release of my first short Valentine’s Day story, Be Mine, Valentine.

Tom Porter moved to Revolving Point, Texas to escape his past. Taking the job as the hotel and eatery’s manager was supposed to ease the pain of his wife’s death, not heap more sorrow onto his injured soul. The eatery’s waitress is vibrant and pretty… and too young for the likes of him. Better he love Jessie in secret than make her a widow before her time. Trouble is, holding her in his arms and tasting her sweet kisses is what he wants most.
Tracking a missing loved one brought Jessie Kane to Revolving Point. Tom Porter was her reason for staying put in the notorious border town along the Rio Grande. Handsome and kind… Tom may have thwarted her love on Christmas Eve, but he won’t do so again on Valentine’s Day. One way or another, she’ll wrangle a profession of love from him, and a lifetime of happiness.

Excerpt:
Quietly moving across the floor, he nudged the door open to find Jessie wearing her night clothes and sitting in a chair before the hearth, her blonde hair hanging loose down her back. She cradled a cup in her lap, caressed the rim while staring at the low-burning fire. He filled a cup and joined her.
“Can’t sleep,” he asked.
“Oh,” she startled, and arched her neck toward him. “I didn’t hear you.”
“I didn’t mean to frighten you.” He nodded toward the hearth. “May I join you?”
Her guarded gaze traveled the length of him. “Al-all right.” She shifted her attention back to the crackling wood.
He pulled a chair beside her and sat, took a long drink of the hot brew. “Are you up because you’re worried about the squatter?”
“No. The sheriff and the deputies will find him.” She kept her gaze on the flame. “They won’t allow harm to come to their wives and children.”
“Reckon you’re right about that.” He took another long swallow to settle the unease snaking through his gut. He had plenty to say to her, and hoped the words came out right.
“Why are you awake?” she asked.
“I’ve got a lot on my mind.”
“Most people do.” She leaned forward, pulled a log from a basket beside the hearth and added it to the fire. Sat back in her chair.
“Jessie,” he started, only to pause and take a deep breath. He let it out slow, prayed his gumption wouldn’t desert him. “I apologize for what I said to you earlier. You’re more than a waitress to me. You’re someone I care about very much.”
She sniffled and met his gaze. Except for the moisture clinging to her eyes, her expression was void of feeling. “So you’ve often said.” She cocked her head. “Are you willing to do something about that?”
He swallowed hard. “If you’re referring to marriage, than I’m sorry, but the answer is no. I can’t marry you.” He touched her arm. “But I can be your friend.” And love you with everything I am. “Someone you can depend upon for anything.”
“I have friends, Tom,” she said, stonily. “I want more than that.”

Be Mine, Valentine is available for purchase at Amazon. www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATV451O

Be Mine, Valentine is part of the Revolving Point, Texas Series. Other books in the series include: 

Zanna’s Outlaw
Lydia’s Gunslinger
Debra’s Bandit

and can be purchased at www.amazon.com/author/julielence

1 comment:

Shanna Hatfield said...

Congratulations, Julie! So looking forward to reading this! Love all your books! :)