Tuesday, May 19, 2020

WHEN RESEARCH IS FUN by Kathleen Lawless @kathleenlawless


I’ll never forget my first road trip with my youngest son, just the two of us.  We headed for the prairies because I was researching the old West and I had heard about a recreated western town from that time period, complete with staff (actors?) dressed in period costume, depicting everyday life in those times.

The book I was researching, GRACE’S FOLLY, featured a female physician as the heroine, a career choice that was unusual for the time, but not unheard of.  I had been struggling to research what Grace’s medical bag would have looked like, and what instruments it would have held.

Imagine my delight when we came across a doctor’s home as part of the old-time town, and laid out across the doctor’s bed were the contents of his/her medical bag.  I wasn’t allowed to touch the display, but I did get close enough to snap some useful photos to refer to once I was back at my computer.   That trip was a lot more fun and meaningful than any other research to date. 

Although, recently I set a contemporary book in a spa, for which copious hours of research were required.  Weeks and months of research . . .            

GRACE’S FOLLY IS part of an award-winning, four-book set of Historical Western Romances, WIDOWS, BABIES, AND BRIDES. 

Grace’s life is a lie.  Dex lies for a living.  Will these two ever admit their feelings and face the truth?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9D1AF6

Starting on Saturday, May 23rd, just in time for the long weekend, the boxed set is on sale for the bargain price of only .99 cents, reduced from its regular price of $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086GGVGP2

Here’s a teaser from GRACE’S FOLLY.  Earlier in the story, Grace hired the hero, Dex, to pretend to be her husband.
Warning:  This is not a sweet romance, and has a medium heat level.

    Grace’s breath caught in her throat. Was it
possible Dex really, truly understood? “Are you
saying we’re not so different, you and I?”
     “On the contrary,” Dex said, his voice a sexy
rumble in his throat. She glanced up, recoiling at the
smoldering look in his eyes as his gaze traveled her
length.
    “You’re afraid to get close to me, afraid to touch
me. I, on the other hand, can’t seem to fight this
compulsion I have to touch you.”
     As he spoke, he pushed her blouse off one
shoulder. Grace trembled at the feather light
sensation of his fingertips grazing her skin.
     “Not so bad, is it?”  He caught her hand in his 
and placed it on his chest. She could feel the steady 
beat of his heart, not nearly so erratic as her own. 
His skin was warm and smooth, textured by the 
thicket of hair which spread across his pectorals, 
angled into a thin line, and disappeared into his trousers.
She moistened her suddenly dry tongue, and the
movement seemed to catch and hold Dex’s
fascination.
     Her knees started to tremble as he stared
hungrily at her mouth, then pushed her blouse off
the shoulder and down her arms. Wet cloth clung
stubbornly to her skin. As he peeled the
uncooperative fabric away from her, she could feel
the faintly abrasive rasp as he worked to separate
her from the garment.
     At last he managed to free Grace from her
blouse. He dropped the sodden garment, and it
landed on the wood floor with an ungracious flop.
He trailed his hands lightly up her bare arms.
     “Put your arms around my neck.”
     When she didn’t comply, he took the initiative
and did it for her, looping her arms across his
shoulders and pulling her close. “I faked being a
doctor today, with your help. It’s your turn now.
Your turn to fake being a wife.”

Get this book and three others for only .99 cents, this weekend only.  
The sale starts Saturday, May 23rd.

If you’re a fan of mail-order brides and secret babies, make sure you check out the sweet western series Widows, Brides and Secret Babies.


Kathleen blames a misspent youth watching Rawhide, Maverick and Bonanza for her fascination with cowboys.  Historical or contemporary, cowboys continue to resonate with her today.   
Sign up for her VIP Mailing List and receive a free western novella, as well as updates, special fan-priced sales, and other goodies.  http://eepurl.com/bV0sb1

2 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Nice excerpt, Kathleen! And happy to hear you and your son had a great road trip. I've taken a few with my son...usually to where he wants to go so he can just sit behind the wheel and drive. Hugs and have a great day!

kathleen Lawless said...

Thanks, Julie. My son was young at the time,and feeling insecure due to a recent divorce, so it was an important bonding trip. To let him know I would always be there.