Friday, May 15, 2020

The Essential Yardbird ~ by Kristine Raymond


Having recently acquired a flock of three-day-old chicks, I started thinking about how valuable these birds were to early pioneers and settlers. They were easily transported, not taking up much space on a wagon - a makeshift coop could easily be secured to the outside of the conveyance - and, once settled on a homestead, the birds required little feed, foraging on their own for scraps, keeping weeds and pests out of the garden, and fertilizing the earth with every step they took.


These compact critters were multi-purpose, providing their caretakers with eggs and meat - extra eggs were often sold in exchange for ‘pin’ money - and raising the next generation of chicks.  They were also handy to have around if someone needed tar and feathering!

Often used as a means of currency, most settlers were happy to accept a yardbird in lieu of cash, recognizing the benefits of owning such remarkable birds, and a well-tended flock was a source of pride.

I’m looking forward to the morning when I step into the henhouse and collect my first fresh egg and like the pioneers of long ago, I’ll be singing the praises of these remarkable birds.

Side note - even though I titled this piece The Essential Yardbird, it's mainly in the Deep South that chickens are referred to by that name.

2 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Have fun with your little chick, Kristine. They're adorable!

Alicia Haney said...

This is a very nice post, Thank you for sharing it and Congratulations on your new chickens and baby chicks. I learned something today and Thank you, I didn't know that chickens were called Yardbirds. When I was growing up we had chickens and we ate the eggs. Have a Great weekend. God Bless you and your family. Stay safe.