Friday, June 9, 2023

The King Ranch

My late father grew up in South Texas, near the King Ranch. I've never visited the ranch proper, but we used to pass by it all the time. I've eaten at King's Inn (yum!) and fished Baffin Bay. When I hear the ranch mentioned, it puts me in mind of dry grassy plains and prickly pear cactus. 

You can test me if you don't believe me. I know how to pronounce both Refugio and Riviera (Hint: it isn't the same as the French one). *grin*

The ranch is located in South Texas, between Corpus Christi and Brownsville, and adjacent to Kingsville. It was founded in 1853 by Captain Richard King and Gideon K. Lewis. 

The ranch is divided into four large sections and, though small portions border each other, does not consist of one contiguous plot of land. To give you an idea of the size, it covers portions of six Texas counties; most of Kleberg and much of Kenedy, with portions extending into Brooks, Jim Wells, Nueces, and Willacy.

In 1869, the ranch registered its "Running W" brand, which remains the King Ranch's official mark today. At the time, the ranch grazed cattle, horses, sheep and goats. By the mid-1870s, the ranch's hallmark stock had become the hardy Texas Longhorn. The ranch also had some South Asian Brahman bulls, which were well adapted to thrive in South Texas' hot climate. They were crossed with Beef Shorthorns to produce the ranch's own trademark stock, the Santa Gertrudis cattle.

During a terrible drought in the early days of the ranch, King purchased all the cattle from the people of the Mexican town of Cruillas, to help them. He realized he'd taken away their long-term means of survival, so he turned his horse around and asked them to come work for him. Many did, and they became know as Los Kineños - King's People. Some of their descendants still work the ranch today.

If you'd like to read more about the history of the ranch, you can find its timeline here.

Have you ever been to the King Ranch?

###

Personal update: 

My checkups went well, and I'm cleared to return to work next week. God kept me safe through a very big surgery and has provided for all my needs while I recovered. I am very blessed. 💗

1 comment:

Julie Lence said...

King's Ranch sounds like a great place to visit. Thank you for sharing, Melissa, and I'm soooo happy you're getting better and stronger and going back to work. Hugs!