Monday, January 15, 2024

Artificial Intelligence in the author world...

 


Generated image using my face. (Not super accurate)

While being trapped on the prairie home because of sub-zero temperatures, I did a little playing around with some Artificial Indigence to entertain myself. I tried out image AI and writing AI. I now understand why artists and writers hate it.


AI has been a real controversy for a while, but I never really knew what it was all about. So I decided to experience it first hand.  

I'll admit I had a great time with the image AI using Aitubo. Though I've never done it before and am sure there is a specific way to describe what you want, I ended up with a lot of images with too many legs, hands, heads, ect.  But it was fun to create characters for books and western scenes. Making fantasy characters for a young adult book I've been tinkering on for the last few years was awesome. Getting a visual for the characters was satisfying.


Captain Sebastian from the planned young adult book


Though I can see the problem artists have with it. It's all generated and there is no talent behind it. Anyone that can type a few words can do it. I've heard it's being used to make book covers as well. A cheap and easy way to make a cover but also taking away business for the serious book cover designers.

Needless to say, though it's been fun to generate characters, I'll stick with Melody Simmons for my book covers. I made two of my covers with photoshop and cover model pictures purchased through Period Images, and I'll stick to that instead of AI.


Next, I tinkered with Squibler, a writing software that can basically write a book for you. Many writing AI places advertise themself as writing assistants, or writing having prompts to help overcome writer's block.

So while it was thirty-four below zero outside, I sat inside all warm and cozy and "wrote" a Hallmark style Christmas small town romance. From typing in a few lines for each scene, a short story was made by using generated paragraphs from the software. The basis were there and a person could go through and add more detail to make it longer. The writing gets repetitive and the characters do the same thing in the different scenes. She stepped out of her house into the snow three scenes in a row in the story it generated for me.

Example: Here is what I typed in.

As the residents of Pineville eagerly prepared for the most magical time of the year, a sense of anticipation hung in the air. The small town nestled in the heart of the mountains was known for its picturesque landscapes and warm community spirit, making it the perfect setting for a cozy Christmas romance.

     Here is what Squibler gave me.   
      Despite the frigid temps and the frequent snowstorms, the people of Pineville were determined to make this Christmas one to remember. As they strung up twinkling lights and decorated their homes with festive wreaths and garlands, there was a sense of unity and joy that filled the streets.
     For many, the holiday season was a time of reconnection and forgiveness. Old grudges were set aside and new friendships were formed. Even the most reserved of individuals couldn't help but be swept up in the infectious spirit of the town.
As Christmas Eve approached, the anticipation grew even stronger. The local church held a beautiful candlelight service and carolers could be heard singing throughout the night. Families gathered around cozy fireplaces, exchanging gifts and stories of Christmases past. And as the clock struck midnight on Christmas morning, the town was blanketed in a peaceful silence.
The soft glow of Christmas lights illuminated the snow-covered rooftops and a feeling of contentment settled over Pineville. This was truly the most magical time of the year, and the residents wouldn't have it any other way.


Is it something I intend to publish? Absolutely not! To me this is cheating! A lazy way for someone to pretend to be an author.

I often get asked by people about self-publishing. They need a "side hustle" to make extra money and when I go into everything that publishing a book deals with, and how much book covers and editors cost, they lose interest. I can see those people using this as a quick way to make an e-book and attempting to pass it off as real work in hopes to make a few dollars.

My take away from this frozen weekend of learning new things...

       Generating character images and scenes is fun.

       Generating a book from a few sentences and letting the Software write it for you. Not a good thing.


Generated western couple

2 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Thanks for giving us the results of your research, T.K. I myself wondered about AI and find what you discovered fascinating. Hugs!

Melissa said...

A couple of my author friends and were discussing AI last week. Like you, I was not aware of all it could do. (* mind blown *)

The use of image generators has actually tanked a colleague's book cover business, and I'm sure people will try to publish books solely written by AI (though they won't be able to copyright them).

That said, AI has its place. It all depends on how you use it. For brainstorming plots and writing synopses and outlines, it can be a huge help, or for getting the words flowing again when you're stuck.

The thing it can't do, even with stellar prompts, is write quality fiction. That takes a human touch.