Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The Creation of a Series - Characters

I am not a big fan of flawless characters. I personally don’t know anyone in real life who’s flawless. While I do read to escape, I need to connect with my characters. It is one of the things I keep in mind with each and every character I write. 

Even the billionaire alpha-hole needs a flaw.  As the characters come alive on the page, I have detailed character sketches I keep updated. This helps in so many ways. It usually starts with finding a picture that closely resembles how I see the character. This way, anytime I reference hair color, eye color, height, it’s there. 

The character sheet has several questions that help get into the character's head. How does the character relate to their family, deal with high-stress situations, or life’s aspirations? Are they so set in their ways that it is impossible for them to compromise?

For example, Ryan Weston, the foreman at the Ridge Ranch, was so convinced that there was no way someone could love him with how little he had to offer. He was happy being a simple cowboy and running someone else’s ranch. He saw Heather as a threat to his simple life, but when she didn't back down, she was able to break through his boundaries. 

A novel I’m currently working on shows the character struggling with PTSD. He’s able to help her even though what they lived through was so different. I love watching characters come together and have a happily ever after, even fighting with their anxieties, their insecurities, and challenges. 

What are your favorite flaws?



1 comment:

Julie Lence said...

Hi Katina: I, too, keep a character sheet with height and hair color, etc, and a lengthy back story so I don't forget. My current WIP, I named the hero's father Frank and later in the story I was calling him Sal... So glad for my notebook! Thank you for sharing.