Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Humor in the Old West?

 Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines


Photo (C) Doris McCraw


Humor?

Rocky Mountain News, February 15, 1885

This little bit of humor comes from The Fairplay Flume of February 5, 1897

"They say that the sense of humor is very rare." "Well, most men have a sense of their own humor, but they haven't any sense of other people's humor."


To finish the piece about humor, I thought this article from the Colorado Daily Chieftain of May 26, 1892, might be of interest to we writers of the West.



There are so many strange articles in these old newspapers. I sometimes wonder how they got into print. I just have to share them for 'historic' purposes, I swear.

Amazon

Until Next Time, 

Stay Safe, Stay Happy, Stay Healthy.

Doris





4 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Sometimes history (and cowboys) do have a strange sense of humor, lol. Then again, I think we all do. Thanks for sharing, Doris.

GiniRifkin said...

Yikes: rough town, quick justice. We need to at least laugh at our own jokes, an audiance of one is better than none!

Renaissance Women said...

Julie, I'm always amazed when I read some of these 'jokes'. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Doris

Renaissance Women said...

Gini, Things were sure different, weren't they? Sometimes It's just easier to laugh. Doris