Tuesday, January 21, 2020

THE DREADED RED PENCIL




Thanks for joining me on my very first Cowboy Kisses blog post.  I’m dying to know what everyone likes to read about here.  In writer’s Facebook groups, new authors often ask if they need to hire an editor and have their work edited before they self-publish their book.  This question makes me cringe.  No matter how experienced a writer is, or how many books to their credit, a writer’s words will always be improved by a round of good editing.  The key being “good” editing.  Which is a topic for another day.  (Over the years I’ve had some dreadful copyright editors whom I’ve refused to work with)

Lately I’ve had an interesting experience in the world of edits.  I’ve been comparing, line by line, the final version of my accepted manuscript to the traditionally published book.  At the time of publishing I accepted those changes because they improved my work.  Years later, I am a bit shocked at the visual proof my over-wordiness.  Plus I see all my bad habits corrected. 

I consider myself a lean and clean writer, which is clearly not always the case because, like all writers, I love words.  I am also deeply dismayed when I find a typo that was missed by not only me, but an entire team of editors, copy editors and proofreaders at a New York publishing house.

If, while reading a published book, you come across one or two typos forgive us; we are human.  If, however, the book is riddled with errors, that author didn’t take the appropriate time and care, which makes me not want to invest the time to read it. 

How do you feel?  Are you bothered by multiple errors and typos in published books? Or are you so immersed in the story they don’t matter?

Lately I’ve been working on a series of sweet western historicals,  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, yet I couldn’t resist mixing things up with a very steamy contemporary western, UNTAMED.  After all, variety is the spice of life.  And thanks to the electronic book world, readers have more choices than ever before.


         
Taking a chance in the new Wild West.  The chance to be someone else.  The chance to be with him.

“Imagine Nancy Drew meets Sex in the City.”  Roundtable Reviews.


See you next month!   

Sign up for Kathleen’s VIP reader newsletter to receive updates, special giveaways and fan-priced offers.    http://eepurl.com/bV0sb1


6 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Nice 1st blog, Kathleen! That dreaded red pencil takes me back to school, when some of my teachers used them. Hugs to you and we're so happy to have you as part of the team!

kathleen Lawless said...

Thanks Julie. Good to be here.

Alicia Haney said...

Welcome Kathleen, to me mistakes in books aren't too bad at all, unless the book is full of them. Mistakes happen, we are all human. I enjoyed reading your first blog. And yes, when I was in school, I remember that red pencil! Have a Great rest of the week. God Bless you. Your book sounds very good and I love the cover, it is beautiful.

GiniRifkin said...

Hi: Another new perspective at Cowboy Kisses. all of you ladies are great and I so enjoy all the posts. Loved the Nancy Drew meets Sex in the City. I guess I don't mind a few errors when reading, although if it is something that sneaked through in one of my books it bugs me no end!

kathleen Lawless said...

Thank Alicia and Gini for taking the time to welcome me here and comment on my blog.

Jacqui Nelson said...

Welcome to the Cowboy Kisses blog, Kathleen. I dread making mistakes in my writing - whether it's in a book or even a blog comment - like here. I know errors will happen though. It's inevitable because "to err is human" (and hopefully!) "to forgive divine."