Thursday, August 11, 2022

For the Love of Quilts

Quilts have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I took them for granted as a child, but now I appreciate the beauty, the skill, and the history. One day, when I finally retire from nursing, I want to spend some of my non-writing time making quilts.

My maternal grandmother lived in a wooden farmhouse with a large porch and high-ceiling rooms. The house has since been torn down, but I can still remember the large wooden frame suspended from the ceiling in one of the bedrooms. It was a frame for quilting that could be lowered down to work on the quilt and raised back up, out of the way, as needed. I never saw it in use, but I knew what it was.

My mother would pull out some of the everyday quilts and use them to make pallets for us kids when we needed a temporary bed on the floor. She would also add one to our bed in winter to keep us warm. She was a busy teacher who usually made clothes when she had time to sew; but one summer, she cut a bunch of hexagons and pieced a quilt while supervising us at the neighborhood pool.


Years later, I had some photographs transferred to fabric and made a family picture quilt top for her and my dad for Christmas. It was my first effort at piecing. The photos were different sizes, and I had to make it up as I went. Mom hired someone to quilt it, and it hangs over a display frame in her den.

I love antique sewing machines, too. When Mom got a Bernina, she gave me her old Singer. (It looks a lot like this stock image, except it's electric.) The cover for it has dry-rotted and can no longer be used to pick it up, but the machine still sews.


I joined a Facebook group of quilters in anticipation of eventually taking up the hobby. I love to see the beautiful quilts they post. The traditional patterns revive treasured memories, but I also love the gorgeous modern patterns.

The National Museum of American History has a National Quilt Collection that you can view online. It features quilts back to the 1700s. Some of them look plain until you click to expand the picture. Wow.

Do you quilt? Do you love them like I do? 

I'd love to hear your stories and your memories!

###

Would you like a free book?

What’s worse than being a mail-order bride without a groom?
Marrying the only man in town who doesn’t want a wife.


Get 'Bride for Sale' FREE when you subscribe to my newsletter! Just click the link and follow the directions.

This book has been approved for most audiences. It contains some mild cowboy cursing and a kiss or two.

*'Bride for Sale' is a newsletter exclusive and is not available from retailers.


Thank for visiting!


4 comments:

Julie Lence said...

Hi Melissa! What loving memories you have of your mom and grandmother and quilting. I love the family picture one you made and admire your talent. I have no such skill, but you're right, there are so many pretty ones out there. Thank you for sharing.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

My wedding gift from my mom and grandma was a quilt. They pieced it together with scraps from my bridesmaid dresses and old quilt squares made by my great grandma. I used to keep it on my bed, but I've moved it to my hope chest so it doesn't get too much wear and tear.

I've never quilted, but I saved my boys' baby clothes and one day when I'm bored, I hope to try to make them into quilts.

Lori Smanski said...

Oh what wonderful memories you have. I have similar memories of my grandmothers (dads mom) many quilts. She loved to do what I know now as scrappy quilts. My other grandma (moms mom) made only quilts from squares. She took the clothes that us five kids grew out of and cut them into squares. So when we became adults, all five of us kids had two quilts that had only our old clothes. I still have them and they are precious. Mom and I learned to quilt when I was in high school. We learned the all hand sewing. Nope I just couldnt stay with it. I have a lot of patience, but it was all just going so slow. When our two kiddos where in school full time, I joined a group at church that made quilts for a crisis pregnancy center. And they did it all by machine. Oh yes, I was in. I have been hooked every since. that was 34 years ago. Since then I have made quilts for new babies, graduations, weddings, etc. Now I am making quilts and smaller quilted projects for our home. I taught both our daughter and son to quilt. Our daughter took off with it and has made some lovely quilts. Our son didnt go for the quilting, but he loved to sew. He is now 39. For the last 20 years he has been sewing clothes for reenactors. Civil War and WW2. He has researched and made them accurate. He has become a Taylor in his own right. He is sought after for his clothes. Yes he makes and sells them. Oh and I am also an avid reader. For as long as I can remember, I always had a book or two that I was reading. I read "Bride for Sale" and so loved it. Thanks. I did post a review.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Melissa!

What a wonderful post.

I LOVE handmade quilts!

Believe it or not, I have made several "BABY" quilts and pillows for my interior design clients.. That is as far as I have gone. They are a lot of work, and sadly, my hands are riddled with arthritis, so it is hard for me to hand sew now. I don't believe is top stitching with a machine. I am a traditionalist. LOL, I will be pulling out the fabric and sewing machine, too. I have one more to make for my future godchild, and that will most likely be the last one I make. Sigh.

I hope you get to make one one day!