A trope is a familiar story element, character type, relationship dynamic, or plot situation that readers recognize and enjoy seeing in different stories. Tropes help readers understand the kind of emotional experience they can expect from the story. They help you find stories that appeal to your tastes.
A trope isn't the whole story. It's an element of the story, and a trope is pretty handy!
For example:
- Enemies to Lovers: Two characters who dislike or oppose each other fall in love.
- Second Chance Romance: Former lovers get another opportunity to find happiness together.
- Forced Proximity: Two characters must spend time together, even when they might prefer not to.
- Grumpy/Sunshine: A serious, grumpy character falls for someone cheerful and optimistic.
- Marriage of Convenience: Two characters marry for practical reasons but develop genuine feelings.
- Small-Town Romance: A love story set in a close-knit community where relationships, friendships, and community ties play important roles.
Small-town romance is my thing. That's what I write, because that's my favorite to read. I like historical and contemporary stories. Many tropes cross over, but some are better kept in their own time period. Like the mail-order brides and frontier romance, but others like ranchers, second-chance romance, outlaws wanting redemption, and ranch inheritance can cross over.
I love many tropes. I've written single-dad cowboys, widowers, inheritance, and mail-order brides and several more. My question for you is: what are some of your winners? Which tropes have your heart?
Comment below.
P.S.
I sure could use some help. I have a new cowboy book coming next year, but my publishing team is looking for people to help reveal the cover now. There hasn't been a press release yet, so I can't offer details, but if you love a good cowboy romance and you're willing to share my cover, please send me a message and let me know. I'll forward your email on to the team!
No comments:
Post a Comment