Tuesday, December 8, 2020

A Christmas Story by Rhonda Frankhouser

Christmas is that time of year when togetherness means the most. The memory of generations of family members gathered around my Grandparents huge Christmas tree, brings a sense of calmness and love like no other. For me, as a writer, getting that full-hearted, safe, loved feeling down on paper is the hardest emotion to capture. 


🎄   🎄   🎄   🎄   🎄   🎄   🎄   🎄

The Ruby's Ranch Series was borne of my trying to recapture the importance of family, even if that family happens to be haunted by secrets, scandal, and sadness. When Ruby inherits her grandmother's ranch, she is motivated by the desire to return to the only true home she's ever known so she can recapture that sense of belonging. Creating Ruby and her journey was my own way of trying to bring back those wonderful, innocent feelings of safety and unconditional love from my childhood.

Meet Ruby in Return to Ruby's Ranch - Book 1

Through the journey of writing each matriarch's story in the subsequent books in the Ruby's Ranch Series, I was able to (in one small way or another) awaken many of my old family traditions. I'm not sure if my readers feel the same when they read the story's of Ruby, Katherine, Rube and soon, Emma, but I pray they feel my desperation to create that true sense of togetherness and longing for home.

Meet Katherine in Escape from Ruby's Ranch - Book 2

Meet Rube in Legacy of Ruby's Ranch - Book 3

Christmas at Ruby's Ranch was never part of the series plan. I was to stay focused on the task at hand - to solve the mystery of the legacy that follows the matriarchs of this family. But one day, I stalled in the middle of writing Emma's story, and opened a brand new manuscript. It was time to stop torturing my characters and let them enjoy the happiness of finding one another again - if only for a moment. As it turns out, I too needed to give them a little break so they could laugh, and dance, and plan for a brighter future.

Join the Celebration for FREE #KindleUnlimited or On Sale through the Holidays!

The secret to writing my Christmas story? I'm not sure how others do it, but I pulled all the sentimental, tear-jerker moments from the story line and toyed with them until they came together in a beautiful family reunion. This story has mother-daughter healing, true love blossoming, and a long-overdue, sentimental reckoning for my most beloved character, Stan. 

Christmas at Ruby's Ranch also pays special homage to the horse characters and their undying connection to their riders. The relationship between the horses and their Ruby's Ranch matriarch strummed one of the most sensitive chords, so naturally a HUGE part of this story revolved around one amazing gift. You see, to a cowgirl, there's very few men who can compete with a trustworthy horse. It's no different in this family. These women relied on their horses for friendship, partnership, freedom and most of all, complete and absolute dedication. 

🐎  🐎  🐎  🐎  🐎  🐎  🐎  🐎

I wasn't sure how the Christmas story would be received in a series founded on dangerous secrets, but I am proud to say, it's been accepted with open arms. Christmas at Ruby's Ranch won the 2020 Uncaged Raven Award for Best Novella. Not too bad for a little spark of light that came from no where.

I hope you and yours have an amazing Christmas and a Happy New Year. See you 2021!

Follow me at www.rhondafrankhouserbooks.com

Watch for Revenge at Ruby's Ranch - Emma's Story - Coming in 2021!!!

3 comments:

Patty Fontenot Duplechin said...

Sounds like an awesome read. Merry Christmas

Julie Lence said...

Congrats, Rhonda & Merry Christmas!

Renaissance Women said...

Follow your heart and usually something wonderful flows from the pen. Congratulations. Doris