Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Christmas Past, Present, and Future

by Dorothy Wiley
Storyteller of Love and Heroes on the American Frontier
Author of the American Wilderness, Wilderness Hearts, and 
Wilderness Dawning Series


Remembering Christmases of years past brings me so much joy. Decades of family, Christmas trees, decorations, cookies, food, and joyous times. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday and my attic is full of tubs of Christmas decorations. It's always fun to bring down these decorations and find the perfect spot in my home for them. And I love finding and giving gifts. 


As I reflect on Christmas present, I admit I am struggling. I am sure many of you are too. It's so hard to choose personal safety over family closeness. For reasons I won't get into, my husband and I both need to really avoid contracting the virus. So this Christmas we won't be seeing family. I'll miss hugs most of all. But I know God is still in control and is teaching us all patience. 

We will be gathering by Zoom. I just sent out our Christmas Eve Zoom Before Christmas invitation, which included this little poem I wrote (inspired by The Night Before Christmas):

'Twill be the day before Christmas, when all through our houses
Not a creature will be stirring, except our computer mouses;

The masks will be hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Corona will never be there!

The family will be nestled all snug in their homes;
While visions of future get togethers thrill them to their bones.

And GrandD on her laptop and GW in his hat,
Have just settled their hearts for a long Zoom chat.

And there we’ll exclaim, with merry delight—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”

And as I look forward to Christmas futures, especially 2021, I do so with the faith that all will be well or at least much better. When we can gather with family again, we will enjoy those hugs and smiles even more. Christmas music will sound especially cheerful and beautiful. I will decorate from the roof to the floor. I will bake enough treats and make enough good food to feed all of Santa's elves. And I will find a meaningful or special gift for everyone I love. Most of all, I will treasure the gift of Jesus, my savior, and Lord.

God bless us, every one!






1 comment:

Julie Lence said...

What a beautiful sentiment, Dorothy. Enjoy your 'Zoom' Christmas with your family, and I love the poem. Hugs and Merry Christmas!