Monday, August 12, 2024

Montana is a perfect place to visit! by Jan Scarbrough


In 2016 when my husband and I began to discuss summer vacation, I suggested Montana.

 

Internet research revealed The Covered Wagon Ranch in Gallatin Gateway, Montana. They offered a non-rider rate, perfect for my husband. So we made reservations for July and planned our trip. 


OMG! It was fun—two days on horseback riding into the mountains, gourmet meals prepared by a chef and eaten in a rustic dinning room with other friendly “dudes.” The owners, wranglers and staff were just as friendly. We felt like we’d come home.


On the trip, I saw firsthand the mountains, canyons, and valleys that make that part of


Southwestern Montana so beautiful. Sagebrush is real. And so are lodgepole pine trees and aspens with their silver leaves shimmering in the wind.


 

I took notes for any future books, things that being a city dude I didn’t know:


  • Cowboys hang hats on antlers or posts when they come in for dinner.
  • The dude ranch is family-oriented with many returning guests.
  • Fishing is a big thing in Montana.
  • One wrangler is hired only to break and train young horses.
  • Some horses are allowed out at night to graze around the cabins. All the ranch is fenced in with log fencing.
  • Horses are run up to high pasture for two days a week to allow them to graze and be horses.
  • Special attention is given to the care of horses so they won’t sour. Horses have a long season. Horses go in the winter to lower pastures.
  • Rides are arranged every morning depending upon what guests want to do.
  • Sack lunches are provided for daylong rides.
  • One female wrangler came from Oklahoma and got the job via the Internet
  • Before a ride, horses are sprayed with fly spray.
  • Besides the saddle, a horse carries a saddlebag for water bottles and lunch, and a rain slicker. Wranglers put a rope halter on the horses and leave it on.
  • Wranglers carry bear spray.
  • Horses are branded with the ranch brand.







·      










 

 


6 comments:

Julie Lence said...

My son wants to explore Montana. I'm going to have to remember this ranch. Sounds perfect for me while he's off hiking. Thanks for sharing, Jan.

GiniRifkin said...

Sounds like a fantastic experience.

Anonymous said...

Love this! Sounds like a great experience 💗 Do you write historical or contemporary? Sweet or spicy?

Anonymous said...

Oops still learning this system - this is Cali Black 💗🤠

Liz Flaherty said...

Sounds like so much fun. It made me think of two things: the movie City Slickers and a long ago Trixie Belden book called Mystery in Arizona. Both of them took immersed me into dude ranching and made me want to go to one. Hasn't happened yet!

Reggi Allder said...

Hi Jan, lots of interesting details. I like the idea of cowboys hanging their hats on antlers. Plus, if I went there I would take bear spray too. Lol :)