Wednesday, August 21, 2024

What we can learn from book characters--by Rhonda Lee Carver

 



As an author, I'm always asked "Why should I read your book?"

This question used to stump me. I mean, I could give the obvious answers. One, a good romance never goes out of style. Two, you'll always get an HEA. Three, I'm asking for my fans to pick it up and take a risk on me as an author. Readers rock!

Over the last few years my answer to the question has morphed. At the beginning of my writing career, I played storylines safe. I kept them on the sidewalk and watched others speeding by on a wild chase on the country back road. Now my motto is, "Write what gives you goosebumps." And that's what I'm doing, and sometimes readers are like WTH?!?

Let me break this down.  I still want to make my readers happy. Because at the end they are the reason why I'm where I am. Yet, I'm willing to take risks with my characters. Don't follow the safe route. Allow the heart-breaking discussions to arise. Inject emotion into each book. Real life is messy and so should the storylines...in my opinion.

In my latest book, Chasing Liberty, releasing this month, I did venture out a bit. I had grappled with two ways to present this story. I won't give away spoilers, but I promise you, the story has a bit of my own heartbreak in it.

So, grab your copy.



Preorder here!

Wild Roses grow in unexpected places, and the sisters of Sagebrush Rose have a hankering for forbidden romance.

Sam Rose knew exactly what he was doing when he gave his daughters an ultimatum. Marry and calm their wild ways or he was writing them out of the will.

Full of vinegar and passion, Liberty will show her daddy! How dare he treat her like a child and meddle in her love life. She'd show him by marrying a ranch hand and Wyler Ranks is the perfect choice!

A surprise turns the fake marriage into something real.

The last thing Wyler wanted to do was fall in love with his wife. Yet here he was. He'd agreed to the "fake" marriage because he saw a chance at running his own ranch, but he didn't expect that his life would be turned upside down. He's never chased a woman before, but he's willing to chase Liberty and prove to her that he is the cowboy for her.

He will face danger to protect his new family.

Little do they know that flowers, and love, can grow in the least nurtured soil. Read this captivating novel of Liberty and Wyler's unplanned emotions and a gift neither saw coming.


EXCERPT!


Time?” His voice was a husky, broken tone produced from lack of sleep. They’d brought each other hours of pleasure and there wasn’t a spot on her body that he hadn’t explored.

Didn’t everyone have wild, passionate s%^ before they ended a relationship?

He flashed that grin—the grin that undid her like a ball of yarn.

Get it together, Liberty!

The “talk” had always been easier with her prior lovers. Of course, she’d never felt like this for anyone else.

The jar of hazelnut chocolate spread still sat with the lid off on the nightstand as a reminder how fun last night had been. She’d never think of dessert the same.

Focusing on the tiny white scar at center of his forehead, because that was the only spot on his body that was safe. She refused to fall victim to his confused expression.

Spit it out!

“A separation.” Whew! There. The words were out.

He remained silent.


Connect with Rhonda Lee Carver

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@rhondaleecarver?lang=en

Facebook: www.facebook.com/rhondaleecarver.author/

Twitter: www.twitter.com/RLCarver

Instagram: www.instagram.com/rhondaleecarver/

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/rhondaleecarverauthor/

Amazon: www.amazon.com/Rhonda-Lee-Carver/e/B00CQLXKTO

BookBub: www.bookbub.com/profile/rhonda-lee-carver

Street Team: www.facebook.com/groups/471259293018665/

Newsletter: Subscribe here

 


1 comment:

Julie Lence said...

Congratulations on your upcoming release, Rhonda! And yes, it's fun to sometimes write outside the safety zone.